Knossos Minoan Palace is extensive archeological complex with close connection to Greek mythology. It is the monumental symbol of Minoan civilization with respect to its construction, luxury materials, architectural plan, advanced building techniques and impressive size.
According to the myths, the palace was designed for King Minos by architect Dedalos as such a complex building that no one could ever find an exit out of it. When the palace was finished, King Minos held Dedalos inside as a prisonor, to make sure he would not reveal the secret of the palace to anybody. Nevertheless Dedalos created two pairs of wings for himself and his son Ikaros, and they flew away. Another legend said the labyrinth was inhabited by Minotaur, creature that was half man and half bull and was in the end killed by the Athenian hero Theseus.
The first settlement in Knossos is noted since the Neolithic times in about 7000BC. The first Palace was built around 2000BC and destroyed already 300 years later. Then it was rebuilt and destroyed again by fire in 1350BC. The locality was transformed into a sacred grove of the goddess Rhea, and had never been inhabited again.
Small part of the ruins at Knossos was rediscovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos. Then British Archaeologist Arthur Evans excavated the site in 1900 AD and restored large parts of the palace.
The Minoan Palace of Knossos is located in the valley of the river Kairatos, about 5 km from Heraklion city along the road to Archanes.